Motuihe Island Campsite
Campground in Auckland, Auckland New Zealand
There is now a Norski toilet at the end of the road on Puriri Ridge.
The Motuihe campsite is divided into five different zones. Confidence Course: 5 tent sites on the western side of the sealed road, 25 m uphill from the toilet block. Parade Ground: 25 tent sites on the headland above wharf road. Follow the timber box steps 100 m west of the toilet block. Captain's Camping: 8 tent sites located at the end of the sealed road, uphill and to the left (325 m). Puriri Ridge: 5 tent sites south of the sealed road amongst the puriri trees. Go uphill and around to the left (250 m). Range: 5 tent sites south of the water tank tower. Go left off the sealed road (375 m). View a map of campsite zones (PDF, 1,828K)
Camp only minutes from clear sheltered beaches and easily explore the entire island by foot.
- Motuihe campsite does not provide wood barbeques, fireplaces, showers, picnic tables or cooking shelters.
- No fires. No fireworks. Gas cookers may be used.
- There is no power supply or light at this campsite. No generators. Bring a torch.
- Water available–this campsite has a spring-fed rural water supply. Giardia may be present. For your health, boil drinking water for at least 3 minutes.
- Pack in, pack out. There are no rubbish bins on this island. Take your rubbish with you.
- The historic water tower is a major hazard, and the site is fenced off. Do not enter the inside of the perimeter fence or the tower.
In Aotearoa New Zealand DOC is focussed on protecting our nature, history and culture. We want to show visitors to public conservation land how to visit the Kiwi way.
AddressBoat access only. A number of private ferry operators run trips to Motuihe wharf, including: * 360 Discovery runs a scheduled ferry service to the island - www.360discovery.co.nz or phone 0800 360 Discovery/+64 9 307 8005. * Auckland Water Taxis - phone
Phone number+64 9 379 6476